Australia is a fantastic country in which to marry and thankfully, has a relatively simple process to make this dream come true. All you need to do is just make sure you follow this protocol closely, and then you can crack on and book your flights!
- The first thing you need to do is organise your visa to visit Australia, which is valid for 3 months. Luckily there is no residency requirement so you can marry literally the day you arrive in Australia should you so wish (as long as you have already sorted the paperwork).
- You will however, have to organise a Notice of Intended Marriage (NIM). This needs to be co-ordinated via the Australian High Commission and should be organised before you travel to Australia. This form can be downloaded online and needs to be signed by an Australian lawyer or diplomatic officer. The fee to organise this is $20 (AUS) for each individual signature.
- Once you have sorted this paperwork it will be sent to the marriage celebrant. This needs to be done between 1-6 months before the date of your wedding. Once approved, you’re legally all set to tie the knot.
- If you are in doubt about anything, contact the Australian High Commission directly and they will be able to point you in the right direction. Simple!
- Birth certificate.
- A Notice of Intended Marriage (NIM).
- Passports of two witnesses.
- Fee $20 (AUS) per signature
- Divorce certificate (if necessary from previous marriage).
- Death certificate (if you have been widowed).