Can I Legally get Married in New York?
If you wish to get married in the Big Apple then there are a few steps you need to take to initiate the process. As long as you stick to the format listed below, then marrying in New York is actually remarkably easy. You’re spoilt for choice with venues too, with hotels including The Mandarin Oriental New York & The Lotte New York Palace Hotel.
- The first step in order to wed in New York is to organise the Marriage Licence. For this you need to go to the Office of the City Clerk: Marriage Bureau at 141 Worth Street in Manhattan and the Licence will cost $35. The opening hours are Monday – Friday 8.30am-3.45pm, with the exception of bank holidays. In order to speed up the process we recommend filling out the forms online beforehand here.
- Once you’ve obtained the Marriage Licence, you need to wait at least 24 hours and thereafter, the Licence is valid for 60 days and can be used anywhere in the state of New York.
- If you want to marry at the City Bureau itself then it will cost an additional $25 and you will have to wait for approx 30 mins – 2 hours as the Bureau does not accept reservations. Alternatively, take your pick of amazing venues, both indoor and outdoor, all over New York!
- After the ceremony, the pastor/priest/official will ensure that you and your partner sign the Marriage Licence and then return the paperwork to the Clerk’s office for you. If everything is correct then you should receive your approved Marriage Licence within around 30 days.
- If you have any further questions, we always recommend contacting your US-based embassy for the most up to the minute information.
- Passport sized photos.
- Birth certificate.
- Copy of the 2 witnesses’ passports.
- New York Marriage Licence Fee.
- Proof of residential address for both partners.
- Affidavit stating that you can legally marry.
- Divorce certificate (if necessary from previous marriage).
- Death certificate (if you have been widowed).