With it’s stunning beaches and beautiful greenery, Sri Lanka is certainly a versatile island for your destination wedding. The good news is it is very straightforward to tie the knot here!
In order to obtain your marriage licence you must present the following original documents to the Registrar or Civil Status Officer in the area you plan to get married in.
- Valid passports
- Birth Certificates, if you have been adopted then adoption certificates must be shown.
- A letter stating your full names, addresses, occupations and the same for both sets of parents
- If you haven’t been married before then you must provide an affidavit declaring you’re free to marry
- Divorce certificate – if applicable
- If you have been widowed then you will need to present the death certificate of your previous spouse and previous marriage certificate
- For any name changes made by deed poll then legal proof must be shown, stamped and signed by a solicitor.