Can I Legally get Married in Ireland?

County Offaly, County Clare and County Kerry are just a few of the beautiful destinations to get married in Ireland, with venues including the sophisticated Gloster House and the Magnificent Lough Cutra Castle. Getting formally married in Ireland is not as difficult as you might think, just follow this procedure and it doesn’t need to be stressful or time consuming!


  1. At least 3 months before the wedding is due to take place, send a written notice to the Irish district’s wedding registrar notifying them that you and your partner plan to wed. We recommend you do this as early as possible to give you as much flexibility as possible.
  2. You and your partner need to reside in Ireland for at least 15 days prior to your planned wedding date.
  3. You will then have to meet with the relevant registrar in Ireland to sort all the necessary paperwork before the marriage can legally take place.
  4. For this, you will need to show your birth certificate, and divorce or death certificates if they are relevant to you.
  5. Once the registrar has confirmed that all your paperwork is correct, you and and your partner will be given a Marriage Registration Form (MRF). This form is basically official authorisation that you can marry and should be presented to the priest or marriage officer before the ceremony so that they can check it over also.
  6. It is also the priest pr marriage officer’s job to ensure that you are your partner (and the 2 witnesses) sign the MRF after the ceremony. You will then have to send this form to the local Registry Office to get it legalised.
  7. So as you can see it’s actually fairly easy to wed in Ireland! As always, we suggest that if you have any specific questions it’s always best to contact your relevant embassy or consulate in Ireland to get the most updated information.


Necessary documents

  • Passport.
  • Birth certificate.
  • Passports of two witnesses.
  • Fee (approximately £50).
  • Divorce certificate (if necessary from previous marriage).
  • Death certificate (if you have been widowed).
  • Sworn affidavit stating that you are free to marry.