Can I Legally get Married in Thailand?
Whether you’re looking at marrying in Phuket, The Ko Yao District or elsewhere in Thailand, there’s many luxury venues to choose from. Getting married in Thailand does require a lot of planning and organisation, but it’s actually easier than you think to achieve, you just have to follow these specific steps:
- You need to go and obtain an ‘Affirmation of Freedom to Marry’ from your respective embassy or consulate in Bangkok. This document will confirm that it is legal for you to formally wed. You and your partner will both need an individual document. Provide the documents listed below.
- You will then need the ‘Affirmation of Freedom to Marry’ professionally translated into Thai and the document must be legalised at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- At the local district office (known as an Amphur), register the marriage. This makes the marriage legally binding.
- The Thai marriage certificate will then be issued to you. You will need to get this professionally translated also.
- Make sure you get the document legally certified at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, followed by confirming the marriage with your relevant embassy or consulate in Bangkok.
As always, we suggest that if you are at all in doubt, contact your local embassy for the most up to date information on the wedding procedure. Following the wedding, you may also want to translate your wedding certificate back into English so that it can be used as a legal document back home.
- Birth certificate
- Passports of two witnesses
- Thai visa
- Fee (approximately £50)
- Divorce certificate (if necessary from a previous marriage)
- Death certificate (if you have been widowed)
- Sworn affidavit stating that you are free to marry
Thai law does not currently recognise same-sex marriages. However, civil partnerships are legal and these offer some of the same rights as marriage.
This information is appropriate for UK nationals getting married overseas. We always advise that you contact the relevant embassy for information before booking any trips. This information is up to date to the best of our knowledge.